Sunday 17 June 2012

....Choose to Shine

Good afternoon fellow crafter's, I hope this finds you well...?
 
I have been playing in my little craft hideaway (aka my newly transformed spare bedroom) and have made a new journal page.  I don't always have an idea of what the page will turn out like. Sometimes i have a rough plan or theme to try and stick to, but most of the time I make it up as I go along...
 
When i started this page i didn't think that it would end up as a 'steam punk' page.  I have only been journaling for a few weeks and this isn't my usual style, but i am loving trying out different styles and techniques.
 
I did this page in my Pink Pig Journal, and coloured the background by using a combination of Adirondack Acrylic Paint Dabbers, Dylusions Inks and PanPastels.  I applied a layer of paint using a baby wipe, to ensure that the paint went on evenly. The paint dries quickly because it is such a thin layer of paint, and then i selected some Crafter's Workshop stencils which had a 'steam punk' feel to them.
 
I sprayed through the stencils with the Black Marble Dylusions Spray and then when the ink was dry, I applied Violet Shade PanPastel over the black ink to highlight the stencilling. I also used a pink dabber to create some 'splats' on the background, just to add some contrasting colour.
 
The 'Bird on the Flourish' is a stencil from Crafter's Workshop.  I positioned it on the page and traced through it with a black pen and then filled in the outline with a Black Posca Paint Marker.
 
 
The bronze steam punk image is another Crafter's Workshop stencil. I drew around the stencil on some good quality card but drew the wings twice. I then, painstakingly, cut out the main body and the wings.  I wanted it to really stand out and look vintage and 'steampunked', so i decided to emboss the image with bronze embossing powder.  I coloured in between the markings on the wings with a white pen to give it more definition and to make it 'pop' off the page. I then glued the wings in place and glued the body over the top of them.
 
The bronze finish gives the page different look to what i usually do. I enjoyed playing around with  it, and it is always great fun to try new things out.
The quote i chose for the page was "If you don't Shine, you're just Dull; Choose to Shine", which i thought suited this page,
 
I hope you like it, and please feel free to leave a message, it's nice to know who has popped by.......
 
Happy crafting.......
 
Gems xx



No comments:

Post a Comment