Friday 7 October 2016

The Witch with the Screaming Bunny.....

An early Halloween offering..... Bwaaa ha ha!

Hello to you all out there!  I just love this time of year when the leaves start to turn, the days feel crisper and I can snuggle up with a big blanket and my dog drinking endless amounts of tea (and crafting, of course!)

Well, it's my favourite time of the month again and that can only mean that it's my turn to show you my Design Team piece for Roc Nicholas DT....

My design piece is always due at the beginning of the month and because of this I didn't want to miss out on Halloween, so it's come early to my house this year...!

                 


I used a 5x7" canvas for my project this time. I started by tearing up some vintage book, music and ledger pages, and glued them to the canvas. When dry, I applied a thin coat of Dina Wakley Gesso (by Ranger) using a palette knife - just enough so you could still see the type on the pages, then left it to dry. 

While the gesso was drying I chose which stamps I wanted to use, I had a picture in my head of the finished piece. 
I stamped the images onto watercolour card using Archival ink, then went back to the canvas. 
I used a combination of Tim Holtz Distress Sprays, Dylusions ink Sprays and DecoArt ink Sprays to colour the canvas. I used orange and yellow tones for the sky and deep purples, blues and crimson for the bottom.
I sprayed the colours so that they 'pooled' on the canvas, giving me the chance to let the inks run in any direction. Once I was happy, I dried it with my heat gun.



To give the background more interest, I stamped some patterns and shapes onto it with a 
corresponding colour.

To colour my stamped images I wanted to use Tim Holtz Distress Markers and Distress 
Crayons as watercolours. I'm a huge fan of the whole Distress range, especially the 
Crayons!
I began with the lightest colour and painted the images adding shading to gain depth. I love painting like this.

When all pieces were painted, dried and cut out, I could start assembling the canvas!!
I used Roc Nicholas 'Stacked boxes' stamp, but instead of boxes, I used them as 
tombstones, then stamped over them with a pale grey text stamp. 
I also used one of Tim Holtz Ideology Broomsticks, and one of his Ideology Pumpkin Pieces (which I cut in half to make two!)
I glued the witches hats to the Screaming bunny and the Bird Princess and then positioned my Witch (bird princess) on her broomstick. The Screaming Bunny Witch wanted to hitch a ride on the broom too! 
Then once I'd glued my pumpkins in place and stamped a quote I was finished.


The stamps I used were:- 

Stampotique

Roc Nicholas:-      Bird Princess
                           Screaming Bunny 
                           Stacked Boxes
                           Heart Vine 
Kare Crane:-      Approach with Caution 
                           Texture cube 
Daniel Torrente:-  Spiral Daydream

Stampers  Anonymous

Tim Holtz:-           Crazy Things

Tim Holtz Ideology:- Pumpkin Pieces
                                 Broomsticks

I hope you like my early Halloween offering. I had fun making it. Please pop to my blog and say hi, I'd love to read your messages.

Thanks or looking MWAH xx 

                      





   

11 comments:

  1. I LOVE Stacked Boxes on their sides as tombstones! The rest is cool too, but those tombstones are my fave! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous Gemma ! I also love the stacked boxes as gravestones !
    Corrie x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my days :) such fun Gemma, love them xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful creation Gemma, perfectly creepy with such a lot of detail! Loads of fun here! Thanks for joining the Stampotique Designers Challenge this week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So fun! Perfect for the season.

    Thanks for playing along with us at Stampotique Designers Challenges.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha so funny - this bunny - awesome!
    Thanks for joining us at Stampotique :)

    xx Arwen

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that screaming bunny! So funny! Thanks so much for joining us at the Stampotique Designers Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love Screaming bunny in the hat! Fabulous Halloween Project!!
    Thank you for taking part in the Stampotique Challenge
    Jools x

    ReplyDelete
  9. What fun, Gemma! You're making me feel festive. :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. How Fun! loving it! Thank you for joining the challenge at Stampotique originals!

    ReplyDelete