Friday 25 October 2013

'The Black Hat Society' - Quirky Crafts Challenge 22 with Crackerbox Palace

'The Black Hat Society' - Quirky Crafts, Challenge 22



Hello everyone, I hope you are all well and crafting up a storm...

What a busy week I have had this week.  It's typical that when you need to have a fairly calm week, to prepare for a craft retreat at the weekend, everything blows up at you...!

I've been looking forward to this weeks Quirky Crafts Challenge.  The characters have so much expression on their faces, and are guaranteed to make you smile.  This weeks' digis have been provided by Crackerbox Palace, and it was spoilt for choice.


For this DT challenge, I though I would do a journal page, but a journal page with a bit of a difference.  




I've only been journaling for just over 12 months, but it has been a lifeline to me.  It is so important for you to have an outlet for how you are feeling, and sometimes you don't want it to be read by other people, and this is why I like this type of journal page.  

It's a hidden pocket page, so you can write something on a small tag or piece of card and slot it in the pocket and no-one will know it is there.

I already had a background prepared in a journal, so I chose the witch and the devil boy digis from Crackerbox Palace, and coloured them in with Promarkers.


I decided to mount the Devil boy onto a black tag, to make him look a little more sinister and striking, and I edged the tag with a White  Distress Stain, through a Tim Holtz Stencil.

To make the 'secret pocket', you need two pages in your journal.  The first page is the one you will decorate, and you need to do the background before you make the slit for the tag.  
You also need a small envelope, a wages envelope is ideal, just make sure that your tag fits inside it. 

Take your envelope and cut a slit on each side about 3/4" long, then cut across to remove the small section.  Apply some glue to the main body of the envelope and position it where you want it to be on the back of the first page, making sure you have left enough room for your tag.  To cut the slit, place a cutting mat under the first page and slice along where the opening of the envelope is. Once that is done, glue the flap of the envelope to the page covering the cut you have just made.  This ensures that the tag is directed into the envelope when you place it in the pocket.
The next step is to glue the two pages together, to hide the 'gubbins' on the first page.

I knew where I wanted to place the witch, but she didn't look right because there wasn't anything 'grounding' her, she looked like she was floating.

 I used one of the new Dylusions stencils of a brick wall and inked through it using black distress ink, then glued my gorgeous little witch in front of the wall. 
I drew a cobweb in the top corner with a white pen, then stencilled some stars.

The last thing I did, was to add a sentiment to the journal page.  I can just see this little witch being a fully fledged member of the 'Black Hat Society', so this was the perfect statement......
             
This was a really fun page to do and perfect for Halloween and this spooky time of year...

Thanks for looking at my page, please be kind and leave a comment xxx

1 comment:

  1. Now then that Gemma, your blog is a few weeks out of date! Love your journal page.

    Cazzy x

    ReplyDelete