Sunday 16 February 2014

Quirky Challenge #4 - 3D and Layers



Hi everyone, welcome to another week of my crafty projects.... I've been fairly busy this week because I decided to finish off a couple of projects I started a while ago from my big unfinished projects box, and believe me it is a big box.

The challenge from Quirky Crafts this week, was just up my street. The theme was 3D and Layers, and I love making dimensional projects. I've been doing Mixed Media crafts and Journaling for about 18 months now, and I wouldn't look back - I absolutely love the effects you can get. I think you could say that I'm hooked lol...


This is my project for this week's challenge. I decided to make a canvas and use different items to create my layers.
I began by selecting some papers with complimentary colours and cut them into different shape strips and blocks, enough to overlap pieces and cover the canvas. I used a Ranger Matte Medium to stick the pieces of paper to the canvas, making sure that some pieces overlapped others. When they were all in place, I applied a layer of Matte Medium over the whole canvas to seal it and in effect it is then 'waterproof'.  Once everything was dry I watered down some cream paint and applied a wash of paint over the matte medium, to knock back the colours slightly, then I painted the edges of the canvas in black.


I next made the flower using the Tim Holtz 'Bigz Tattered Florals' die and some resist canvas leaves. I sprayed the flower using Dylusions Black Marble ink spray and a purple Cosmic Shimmer spray (sorry I've forgotten the name of it). Once the ink was dry I glued the sections together after shaping the petals with my pokey tool.
The resist canvas is interesting. I used Dylusions Mowed Lawn spray and straight away the resist pattern appears, I love using it.
I took a background stamp and randomly stamped it a few times onto the pieces of card. I then coloured in my Robins Fetish image using Dylusions inks again, then mounted it onto black card and cut around it.

To finish my canvas off, I added a piece of chain which I attached to the birdhouse, a metal corner embellishment and a paper clay rose.
The theme is many layers and 3D projects and I think that this shows depth and many layers. I really enjoyed putting everything together for this canvas, I had a great tine.

Thank you for looking. Please come back soon to say hello...happy crafting xox







No comments:

Post a Comment