Wednesday 15 February 2017

Seeing Red....Stampotique SDC267 Challenge

Red, Red and more Red...!

I really can't quite believe that this is my third week as Guest Designer for Stampotique- only one week left and I'm having so much fun, I don't want to stop..!

The theme for the Stampotique Designers Challenge (SDC267) this week is 'Seeing Red'. 

I thought I was going to struggle with this theme because I usually steer clear of using red as the main focal colour in my projects - I find it quite a scary colour to use, unless it's just for a small highlight somewhere.

Here is my project for this weeks' theme...



I used Yupo paper (Tim Holtz) for the first time on this project. I've been wanting to try it for a while now, and I was pretty Impressed with it. I used it alongside Alcohol Inks to get the best results. I chose Cranberry, Raspberry and Valencia as a good blend of red shades and applied them to the paper using a felt pad and some blending solution.

I like using alcohol Inks as you can keep layering up the colours until you are happy with the results you have.  Whilst adding the red tones, I also added a mixitive of some white, just to knock back areas of the colour if it was too dark.

Before the ink had dried (and it dries very quickly), I sprinkled on some Brushos, again in red and rusty tones, and lightly spritzed with water. It was mainly for a different texture and feel to the piece. I then heat dried it.

When fully dry I stamped the fabulous Journey Collage stamp on top of the inked background with an embossing pad, then used Ultra Thick Embossing Enamel to heat emboss over it. It left brilliantly raised, clear background lettering, which you can just 
make out in the photos. I really love the effect.


I chose a few stamps to use together, which is one of the hardest things to do. I'm always spoilt for choice, they're just fabulous.
Eventually, I chose Twinkie, Kitty Cube, Animal Cube, French Text, Approach with Caution and Journey Collage (see the links below for the stamps).
I coloured each image in using Tim Holtz Distress Markers and my water brush, to get a watercolour look, then adhered them to to background.  I used a piece of washi tape to ground the images. Finally I mounted it onto black card to make the colours pop.

The stamps I used were :-
                                        Twinkie - Daniel Torrente
                                        Kitty Cube - Daniel Torrente 
                                        Animal Cube - Magda Polakow
                                        French Text - Jo Capper-Sandon
                                        Approach with Caution Text - Kate Crane
                                        Journey Collage - Amy Wilson Wellenstein

I hope you like my make this week? I enjoyed making it....

Please come over to the Stampotique Designers Challenge page and join in the fun with us.... It's SDC267 'Seeing Red'. I'm looking forward to seeing your fabulous creations ...

Happy Crafting.... Gemma xoxo











1 comment:

  1. I love your make! I haven't tried yupo yet, but it's on my To Do list. ;) I loved reading about your process. You've been an awesome GD - love seeing your stuff!

    ReplyDelete