Wednesday 22 February 2017

'Seeing Red' Week 2 - Stampotique SDC267 Challenge

In Your Dreams.....

Hello my lovelies, hope you are all well ....

This is my fourth and final Guest Designer piece for Stampotique today, so I'm a bit sad! I've really, really loved my month as Guest Designer, had lots of fun and have been supported by the fabulous Stampotique team, so thank you all for the chance to be part of your great team - I've loved it!

The theme for the Stampotique Designers Challenge (SDC267) this week is 'Seeing Red'. 

I usually find red quite a scary colour to use as it's so bold, but I'm pleased to say that this theme has made me slightly less scared of it, daft, I know lol!!

This is my make for this week. I love working on these smaller canvasses sometimes, especially on black as the colours pop so much more.


It's pretty simple background really, but I think it's quite effective. I painted the canvas with black gesso, then dried it. 

I chose a few bright colours to use as the base colours. I think I used Turquoise, Lime Green, Yellow, Fuchsia and Primary Red. I only used the tiniest amount of each colour as It  just needed to cover areas of the bottom part of the canvas. 
I dry brushed the paint, starting with the lightest colour first, then gradually built up the colours. I love dry brushing, it gives such a great effect.

To add another texture to it, I took some acrylic paint pens and sprayed some colour onto 
the canvas by blowing (huffing) sharply onto the nib. It sounds really bizarre and be careful not to overdo it as you may feel really dizzy. It leaves a lovely air brushed spray effect. This is how I added most of the red, along with splatters and red paint running down from the top of the canvas. I also stamped the sentiment in red paint, which says 'In your dreams' (by Terri Richardson) it doesn't show up too well in the photos though.

I added a few extra background stamps and marks in white and even black paint just to highlight areas. Then left it to dry.


I love Magda Polakow's stamps, they're so very cute and versatile, and I think that Agatha Heart is one of my favourites.  I coloured her in using Tim Holtz Distress Markers, by using them as watercolours with my waterbrush.
I also stamped 2 of the same flowers from Magda's Flower Cube 1 and layered them up for a more 3D effect.  I then just adhered them to the canvas using silicone glue for more dimension and structure. 

I enjoyed using the stamps in this canvas and making this little canvas. 

I hope you like it too?

I'd love to hear what you think, please let me know by leaving me a message....

The stamps I used in this project we're:-

                   Agatha Heart - Magda Polakow

Please come over to the Stampotique Designers Challenge page and join in the fun with us.... It's SDC267 'Seeing Red'. I'm looking forward to seeing your fabulous creations ...

Happy Crafting.... Gemma xoxo
      














1 comment:

  1. I love this Gemma - it has your trademark bright colours and sense of style!
    Hugs xx

    ReplyDelete